Blogging is tough. Some do it well (like Jake) and others don’t spend the time to make it happen (like me). I have found very few that keep it up. It is just another thing that takes up time.
Here is what I think makes it work for a person:
1. They have a passion for the subject. If you are bored by your job, don’t blog about your work.
2. They have a focus. Most blogs are personal ramblings. It’s ok, but tough to build an audience that way.
3. They have readers. I know, chicken and egg, but if you knew there were ten thousand people waiting on your next word, you’d write something.
4. They have perspective. Take a position (honestly not for show). I find that type of content more interesting.
5. Be an expert. I don’t like reading people’s thoughts who are as ignorant on me on a topic. I want to read about the Fed from Greenspan.
6. Get something out of it. It can be ads, ego, etc. I like the concept of personal branding and building a name for yourself. It’s the most achievable goal.
If you think of the above, there are lots of people just not cut out for blogging. There are also areas that have no real audience for a certain topic. BUT, if people are smart and have something to say about something they care a lot about, it can happen.
Agree? Do you blog… why? What do you get out of it? What makes it successful?