Here comes a topic for a Friday.
I try to torture my wife with this nerdy debate, but she consistently rises above the argument. So, I’m coming to the ‘tubes to get some real discussion.
This class comic book nerd debate is really Batman or Superman, not vs. which suggests they’re fighting. It’s styled as vs. because the camps on either side may end up slapping each other in a geek fight as they disagree and tempers flare. Suffice to say that opinions are held as facts in this case, much like they are in Kirk vs. Picard or other similarly impossible, yet fascinating arguments.
I use the term fascinating loosely.
Anyway, the debate is simple; make a case for which superhero is better and why. Point and counter-point.
Or shake your head and walk away trying not to laugh.
Batman, and here’s why in easy to consume bullet form:
- He’s one of us, not an alien or a genetic anomaly. He’s just a really tough dude, like Chuck Norris in tights and a cowl.
- He’s not a Boy Scout. He practices vigilante justice, outside the law or on the fringe, depending on the Batman adaptation.
- He has “wonderful” toys. Limitless wealth provides an awesome array of weapons, vehicles and gadgets that may geeks drool.
- He fights the best villains. Without a doubt, the Joker is the best comic book villain. No debate there.
- He’s a brooding guy with issues, classic anti-hero. He wants to dole out justice, not to do good. Superman does good.
- He has the best costume. The cape and cowl black or gray/navy early on makes him menacing.
- He’s a smart dude who uses his wits, not his brawn.
There are more, but I’m laughing at myself now.
Your turn. Find the comments to agree or disagree with me. Or to pick another superhero.
If you made it to here, you know you want to jump in, which is the beauty of this argument.
Update: Thanks to the beauty of the intertubes, some random person posted a video on YouTube, agreeing with me. Sweet.