We all know what spam is by now, the digital variety, not the gelatin-coated mystery meat in a tin. The attendees of PodCamp2 in Pittsburgh have coined the term bacn to describe “email you want, but not right now”.
Examples of bacn:
- Social network alerts
- Electronic bill pay alerts
- Basically anything you solicited by providing your email that is not a personal message
Of course in true 2.0 fashion, bacn cannot be spelled correctly because there already is a Bacon. You know the one. Oh yeah, and some meat too. What do vegetarians and vegans think of this meat-naming movement? I think tofu would have done nicely instead. Plus, it’s correctly spelled. Let’s start the tofu not bacn movement.
Anyway, bacn can’t be for real yet because:
- It has no Wikipedia entry.
- The Triad of Truth (Arrington, Om Malik, Scoble) haven’t acknowledged it as newsworthy yet.
- It’s not on Techmeme.
- It wasn’t coined in the Valley.
LOLcat sez: Srsly. Bacn r 4 reel. All ur bacn r belong 2 us.