The Oracle blogosphere has been around for a while, and recently, with Twitter and Facebook usage on the rise, we are becoming a more tight-knit community.
As a follow up to my Oracle Tweeters post, I’m proposing a good, old-fashioned game of blog tag. I’m not sure if this has already been done in the Oracle blogosphere, but if so, I missed it. And if I missed it, did it really happen?
Anyway, the construct is simple, I will throw out eight things you might not know about me, then tag eight other bloggers. They will blog eight not-so-obvious things about themselves, then each tag eight more as yet un-tagged bloggers, and so on until we get bored.
The goal is to learn more about the people you interact with using New Web. If you don’t want to play along, no worries. For an example, check out the Ontario Emperor’s response to being tagged. No point in tagging him again.
I’ll start tagging Oracle bloggers, but don’t take that as a requirement. The goal is to get a response and spread the meme. So, here are eight things you probably don’t know about me:
- I am half-Japanese, as you might guess from comparing my surname with my outward appearance. My grandparents on my father’s side were interned during World War II, and my aunt was born in a camp. I have the apology letters sent to my grandparents by George Bush Senior to prove it. That’s right, it took 40 some years for the government to apologize.
- I love to fight. I train in a variety of combat sports, including Brazilian Jiu-Jistu, Western boxing and clinch, collectively known as mixed martial arts. I’m not the only AppLabber who studies a martial art, and I’ve been surprised at how many Oracle people train in combat sports and martial arts.
- At age 11, I had my two front teeth smashed out of my head on an icy playground. We were playing “Kill the Man”, essentially tackle football without the football, and I did a faceplant while being tackled. Ah, youth.
- My lovely wife and I share the same birthday, different years. More accurately, we have the same birthday, and I haven’t celebrated my own for eight years.
- I have a condition called brachydactyly type D, a.k.a. clubbed thumbs or murder’s thumbs, scroll almost to the bottom for the bit on murderer’s thumbs.
- I move a lot. I’ve lived Indiana, Chicago, the Bay Area, the Central Valley, LA, Pittsburgh and now Portland. I expect to make this my long term home, but you never can tell. Even though I have the operational aspects of moving, I like observing people in different areas of the country.
- As a summer job during college, I laid asphalt as a grunt on my hometown borough’s road crew. We did lots of other manual labor outside, but laying a couple tons of asphalt in 90 degree heat with 60% humidity was the one that I remember most vividly.
- Without pop culture, I would have none. I am an avid movie, music, television, comic book, Interwebs meme consumer, and I love trading quotes or references with like-minded people. It’s sad really.
So, those are my eight. I now tag Matt Topper, Dan Norris, David Haimes, Justin Kestelyn, Floyd Teter, Marian Crkon, Meg Bear and Eddie Awad. Expect a tweet or email from me. If you write a team blog, like this one, feel free to call out your colleagues. Anthony, Paul and Rich are all fair game too.