This post has a very broad compendium of vintage (not old) magazine advertisements for computers.
Aside from the trip down memory lane, for many of us, a few interesting nuggets pop:
- Multi-column layout, especially three columns, looks jarring. I’ve become so accustomed to larger resolution text, that narrow, justified text looks really janky.
- There’s so much text. I know these ran in magazines and newspapers, and we probably read less, etc. Still, contrast these ads with ads for computers now.
- It used to be all about the features. Detailed specs and lots of numbers show up in these ads. Now, the focus is on actually doing stuff with computers, a fundamental shift.
- Technology has really come down in price.
- The gaming consoles deftly avoid mentioning the price, just the fun. You can almost hear the ads saying “pew-pew” and “woosh”.
Anyway, it’s a nice nostalgic look at where we’ve been.