I’m it — Floyd tagged me. So, here are my 8 things (for context on what this is, read this):
- January 6th marked my 11th year at Oracle (8 w/PeopleSoft and 3 w/Oracle). Seems like a long time to be in a company. The cool thing is that I’ve managed to wear many different hats since starting here in 1997 — been a consultant, developer, manager, sales engineer, and product strategist. By far the best job has been my current job as a labbie here in the AppsLab.
- I used to fly 2 seater Cesna 152s. Well, sort of. I had about 55 hours under my belt and was well on my way to getting my VFR licence, but Winter came a long and I lost interest — didn’t feel like flying in crappy weather — and I never picked it back up. Probably a good thing since my wife would not be happy if I took up flying again. So, now I fly RC sailplanes — the Bay Area is a great place to fly sailplanes.
- I have a bachelors degree in Math, but really suck at it. I often find myself pulling out a calculator to work out simple additions and subtractions. I was always better at the abstract stuff.
- I love to travel — although haven’t done much lately. I’ve been to: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, England, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, China, South Korea, The Philippines… and a few other places. I can’t wait to travel again.
- I was in marching band in high school (I played the baritone horn). Even worse, I was the Drum Major — I can’t believe I’m announcing this on the internet. I wish I could get back into music. I tried a few years ago with the guitar, but failed — my fingers suck.
- I have two older brothers (4 years apart) whose names also start with an “R” (Ray and Ron). My dad’s name is Robert. Don’t ask.
- My wonderful wife and I have twin boys (almost 3 years old). I’m so thankful that the “terrible twos” are almost over. They rock my world… in a good way.
- I suck at blogging, but you knew that already. That’s why we have Jake.
Ok, back to work. Jim Marion, Chris Heller, Paul Pedrazzi, and Anthony Lai… you’re it!