Last night, Anthony (Rich took some well-deserved time off) deployed a new set of changes, including one that has been requested quite frequently. We took down the work email address wall. You no longer need to use your work email address to vote for and create ideas. This was an early question posed by Paul Gallagher, and later an idea, and yes, I got the irony of proposing an idea that could not be supported by its main constituency.
So, the wall has been torn down, reference to an analogy Rich used in an email. Feel free to change your profile email address to a public one if you wish. This won’t affect anything you’ve previously done in Mix, but you’ll need to confirm the new email account before you can get back to Mixing. There are a few areas that still reference the need for a work email address, but rest assured, those will be cleaned up soon.
Here’s a rundown of the other changes:
- Say you’re waiting on that confirmation email. And waiting. And waiting. And you really can’t wait to start Mixing. Maybe something went wrong. We added a resend confirmation link to your profile page so you don’t have to mess around with changing your profile to regenerate the confirmation email. You’ll find the link just under Tags on your profile page. Thanks to Nestor for suggesting this.
- Mix used to be pretty useless before you confirmed your email, but now, you’ll be able to hang out in read only mode until you confirm your email. So, you’ll be able to do everything except create or comment.
- Updated contact information updates no longer appear in the Activity Log. We haven’t removed past updates, but at some point, we plan to tidy them.
- The product page now co-mingles ideas and questions.
- And the product page now has an RSS feed. So you can follow your products of interest via RSS. Over the last few deployments, we’ve introduced RSS for ideas, questions, groups and now products. Adding feeds was one of the most popular ideas suggested for Mix, here, here, here, and here. Thanks to Carl, Michael, Richard and all the supporters of this idea for pushing us to get this done. I’ve commented on these ideas, which triggers the email notification feature we implemented last month.
- We added a section to the newly redesigned Groups home for new groups. This was suggested by Chris Muir, and although we didn’t follow his idea exactly, we hit most of his points. What do you think?
What do you think of Mix? It’s evolved a lot lately to be more stable, faster and more functional. We’re listening to what you’re suggesting. Sound off in comments.